Thursday, December 3, 2009

I feel as though I'm ranting about this every day.

I'm sick of people judging me because of what I like or how I act sometimes. Yes, I do enjoy Disney. In fact I love Disney! If it's Disney I'm likely to eat that shiz up and I'm not ashamed of it. I got weird looks and comments from my co-workers today when I put on a Disney (Hannah Montana, Camp Rock & High School Musical style) compilation CD but I didn't care. I know who I am and I like what I like. I do not go around saying what you like is shit and calling you dumb because you like it; I like to think I'm unjudging and accepting of the fact that not everyone is going to like what I like. I know Twilight isn't all that great; to be honest the books are poorly written and the acting in the movies is not exactly the best in the world but who cares? I don't get why people waste effort bothering to bag it out so consistently. You can have your opinion all you want but when you start calling people 'stupid' and insulting their intelligence and sexuality then you're going too far. I think I've ranted about this numerous times but I see it every day; people can't accept other people’s opinions and it honestly is starting to give me the shits.

I get it; you hate twilight, the Jonas brothers, Miley Cyrus and pretty much everything that I somehow still seem to like. It doesn't make you better or more intelligent than me. It merely makes you different to me. These people are constantly saying that everyone is the same and they should strive for individuality because Twilight is so 'lame' and 'uncool'. Aren't you being hypocritical in asking everyone to be exactly like you? Nobody in the world is going to agree with EVERYTHING that you like. I think that people should just grow up and realise that no matter how much you bag out something it isn't going to stop someone from liking it. I didn't like Twilight all that much but since people seem to hate it so passionately (some without giving it a shot! Fair enough if you gave it a shot and didn't like it, I respect your opinion and your right to express that opinion but if you don't even give it a go you have no right to remark on other people who do like it) I now like to stick up for it as much as possible.

People should not have to feel embarrassed or ashamed for liking something; especially not on the internet. I'm sure there's something that you like that your friends would think is 'nerdy' or 'lame' such as RPing? Yet you still do it, why? It’s because you love it for some reason. Other people may not understand it but it doesn't matter to you because it's what you like. Nobody liked to be ridiculed for what they like. I can't say that I like being stereotyped as a blonde 11 year old pop addict that dresses like a slut; because apparently that's what I should be because I love Miley Cyrus and various other pop music artists. Guess what? That's not me at all. I mostly listen to alternative, rock and ska music. People are complex and there are many layers to them. You can't go classifying someone as 'stupid' because they like something. Have your opinion if you want, express it all you like but DO NOT insult people or ridicule them in the process. This is where I start to REALLY get annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment